Header Ads

Learn Quran on Monday, August 24, 2020

Some English Literary Fellows I like

Write up on beloved English poets and Writers


Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, William Wordsworth, P B Shelley, John Keats like others are my favorite scholars in the arena of English literature.

William Shakespeare, an English poet, at the same time a playwright being the eminent writer in the English language often called England's national poet. One of his most popular plays, 'The Merchant of Venice' in which idyllic, world recollected folktale and romance are found available. It is highly interesting and has got fast-moving plots. Characters are prudentially set like Antonio, a Venetian merchant, Shylock, a Jewish moneylender and father of Jessica, another female character, Bassanio, Antonio's bosom friend, and rich heiress Portia's suitor.  

Shakespeare

“The quality of mercy is not strained,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.”
(Portia, Act 4 Scene 1)

“I am never merry when I hear sweet music.”
(Jessica, Act 5 Scene 1)

“The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.”
(Lorenzo, Act 5 Scene 1)

A Tale of Two Cities of Charles Dickens is his well known historical fiction set in London and Paris. The story was plotted against the ongoing conditions likely owed to happen the French Revolution in a contemporary terrific region. He had penned against the then culpable society. A quotation from his novel 'A Tale of Two Cities' is appended below: 

Dickens 

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

- Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, Book 1, Chapter 1  





Through the romantic novel Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen threw a tremendous shake in the Regency era in Great Britain. The novel urges the importance of marriage for love apart from money or social dignity, regardless of the communal high aptitude for a wealthy match. Quotation from Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' is laid down here: 

Jane Austen 
“I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle. As a child I was taught what was right, but I was not taught to correct my temper. I was given good principles, but left to follow them in pride and conceit. Unfortunately an only son (for many years an only child), I was spoilt by my parents, who, though good themselves (my father, particularly, all that was benevolent and amiable), allowed, encouraged, almost taught me to be selfish and overbearing; to care for none beyond my own family circle; to think meanly of all the rest of the world; to wish at least to think meanly of their sense and worth compared with my own. Such I was, from eight to eight and twenty; and such I might still have been but for you, dearest, loveliest Elizabeth! What do I not owe you! You taught me a lesson, hard indeed at first, but most advantageous. By you, I was properly humbled. I came to you without a doubt of my reception. You showed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice


Some of them viewed nature with the keen eyes as they depicted in their composition likely to cite the name of William Wordsworth as a glaring example. A quotation from his great poem 'Daffodils' is enumerated hereunder:

William Wordsworth 

"I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils."





P B Shelley’s poems provide us the themes of both seen and unseen nature with the diversification of ideas towards Romanticism, love, the reality of nature, world, and so on. The lines of Percy Bysshe Shelley from the poem "SERCHIO, THE RIVER - The Boat" are quoted below: 

 

Percy Bysshe Shalley
"Our boat is asleep on Serchio’s stream,

Its sails are folded like thoughts in a dream,
The helm sways idly hither and thither.
Dominic, the boatman, has brought the mast
And the oars and the sails; but ’t is sleeping fast,

Like a beast, unconscious of its tether."






John Keats' works are of lofty themes of natural phenomena. Some important lines from his poem 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' are quoted below:

John Keats 

"When old age shall this generation waste,

Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe

Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say’st,
‘Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.’"    







In a nutshell, these are the causes in behind my liking of those literary fellows.



No comments

Theme images by merrymoonmary. Powered by Blogger.